feet in the field, eyes on the stars: AN AG RESEARCH SHOWCASE
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US FOR AN AFTERNOON OF EXPLORING INNOVATIVE RESEARCH HAPPENING IN AG.
This event has passed.
On January 10th, 2023, RDAR hosted Feet in the Field, Eyes on the Stars: our inaugural ag research showcase. This event brought together some of Alberta’s leading ag researchers and producers to showcase the impact their research projects are having in the field. Check out some of the highlights of the day below!
A MAP TO THE STARS
Click on the map below to check out the innovative research that’s taking place in that space!
Want to see videos from the Showcase? We have several different ways to experience the day! Check out our Showcase playlist on YouTube or select from the videos below!
Below are the posters that researchers put together for the Showcase. Click the links to learn more about their research!
PRECISION IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT & WATER REMEDIATION
- Dr. Naouri: Plant available water mapping with Microwave Radiometer Technology
- Dr. Edeogu: Floating Island Technology for Livestock Water Remediation
- Dr. Dubljevic: Sensing, monitoring and operational improvements in St. Mary River Irrigation District
- Dr. Sereda: Promotion of wetland stewardship beneficial management practices through a targeted water monitoring project
DAIRY COW HEALTH
DISEASE MITIGATION IN OUR CROPS
- Dr. Davidson: Novel Herbicide Use and Evaluation on Narrow Leaf Blue Lupin
- Dr. Spaner: The performance and stability of spring wheat cultivars mixtures in contrasting management conditions in western Canada
- Dr. Evenden: Investigating the role of abiotic factors, and dispersal on dynamics of striped and crucifer flea beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in canola
- Dr. Strelkov: The evolution of clubroot spread in Alberta (2005 – 2021)
- Dr. Konschuch: Revisiting Potato Blackleg in Alberta
- Dr. Neilson: Effects of hail damage on potato production and potential remediation
NEW TECHNOLOGY IN THE HIVE
- Dr. Rueppell: Assessing molecular, individual, and colony markers of local and imported stocks to improve honey bee health in Alberta
- Dr. Phillips: Enhanced disease management of Varroa using heat treatment for honey bees
POULTRY NUTRITION & EXTENSION
- Dr. Patterson: Upcycling Plant Based Protein Sources (Canola Meal) into Highly Digestible Protein Supplements and Bioactive Components for Use in Livestock Feeds
- Dr. Carney: Working together for innovation and adoption
BEEF & GRAZING SYSTEMS
- Dr. Markus: Promising Technology for Beef Heifer Selection and Development
- Dr. Bork: Can cow/calf production efficiency be explained by maternal habitat selection & dietary composition in diverse pastures?
- Dr. Basarab: Using a Collaborative Genomics Approach to Improve Efficiency, Sustainability and Profitability of Alberta Beef
ADDRESSING SOIL HEALTH
- Dr. Gorim: Differential responses of bacterial communities across geographic locations and ecozones in Alberta agricultural fields amended with urea and humic-based amendments
- Dr. Zavala: Alberta Applied Research & Forage Associations Unite to Benchmark Provincial Soil Health Constraints
- Dr. MacKenzie: Determining specific compost blends for regenerative agriculture in central Alberta